About Me

My photo
- a writer besotted with the sea. Add some British folklore and I'm even happier.

Friday 14 May 2010

The first cut should be the deepest.

First of all, apologies to the poor guinea pigs who suffered the first draft of the Thirteenth Pharaoh. Honestly I did think it was quite good.I'd tried really hard and there really wouldn't be that much to sort out.
Mmm.

Well, the feedback was salutary - conducive to health. I asked for tough love and I got it.

I cannot thank you enough, you know who you are.  If you want name checks -I'm more than happy to say how brill you were. In the same way that we need our surgeons to be callous, I need my writing friends to incise and remove all the necrotic tissue which spoils a good piece of work.

Now, me being me, I veered madly in the opposite direction: avoiding one problem area I ran straight into another. Too terse, too unexpressive became flabby and overblown. Draft 2 grew to be a monster (or at least the embryonic first chapters). More healthy advice was given.

Things I have learnt:
  • rewriting is not little cosmetic touches  
  • it is not fleshing out with great globs of silicon gel 
  • it is more like a heart bypass.
Draft No. 3 has its drips and life support in situ.

Dear colleagues - will you help me save the patient?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please jot down your reactions to my thoughts - all comment is interesting - though I don't like foul language.